B&W 603 S2 AE Overview
The 603 S2 AE also comes with a pair of bass drivers which are very similar to those in the 700 series. They are effectively damped to give a high break-up frequency and a very rich and deep bass response.
A rear-firing port is present and it is tuned to 35Hz, giving the 603 S2 AE a very impressive low bass output, which is much stronger than many other floor standers of this size. It can be adjusted via a two-piece foam bung and is bi-writeable if you want to use it that way.
As with most high-end floor stands, the 603 S2 AE requires a good amplifier. The 603 S2 can be run with amps as small as 30 Watts but the best sound is achieved with a more powerful setup. We were able to run it with a Cyrus i7-XR (HFC 473), which produced a satisfying and capable partnership.
B&W 603 S2 AE Features
B&W has long been known for its quality and performance at the very highest levels, and the 603 S2 AE is no exception. It is a floorstander that will appeal to anyone looking for a highly capable and sophisticated speaker for their home cinema system or for a round Hi-Fi solution that does a great job at doing justice to your music collection.
The 603 S2 AE features the acclaimed Continuum cone technology which first appeared on the flagship 800 Series Diamond speakers and is here in its seventh generation to offer cleaner, more precise sound, to a wider group of listeners. Its combination with a new optimized crossover design and carefully selected components improves resolution, transparency, and insight into your music.
The B&W 603 S2 AE uses a re-engineered version of the proven Decoupled Double Dome tweeter, offering 38kHz breakup performance that is perfectly suited to a wide range of music. It has been designed to be strong, stiff, and stable in order to deliver a resonant and accurate sound.
The midrange driver is a B&W woven Continuum cone, which is made from an eye-catching silver mesh. It is part of a B&W FST (Fixed Suspension Transducer) drive unit, which replaces the traditional rubber surround with a foam ring that damps vibrations to improve clarity and reduce distortion.
It's a good thing that these drivers are included at this price point because they offer a very clean, precise, and transparent sound, with the Continuum cone also delivering realism to vocals. We're used to B&W's trademark yellow kevlar midrange cones and it's refreshing to see them replaced here by this attractive, eye-catching silver material, which is a far more effective self-damping cone than the usual rubberized one.
Continuum cones have been around for years but it took B&W eight years to create this unique cone that's a blend of a weave of different synthetic materials that is similar in effect to Kevlar. It's said to have better self-damping, less noise, and a faster impulse response than the usual cone materials.
B&W 603 S2 AE Specifications
|Dimensions||Height: 985mm (38.8 in) cabinet only
1055mm (41.5 in) with a plinth
Width: 190mm (7.5 in) cabinet only
320mm (12.6 in) with a plinth
Depth: 340mm (13.4 in)
370mm (14.6 in) with a plinth
|Net weight||24.1 kg (53.1 lb)|
|Technical features||Decoupled Double Dome aluminum tweeter
Continuum™ cone FST™ midrange
Paper bass cones
|Description||3-way vented-box system|
|Drive units||1x ø25mm (1 in) Aluminum dome high-frequency
1x ø150mm (6 in) Continuum™ cone FST™ midrange
2x ø165mm (6.5 in) Paper bass
|Frequency range||-6dB at 28Hz and 33kHz|
|Frequency response||48Hz - 28kHz ±3dB|
|Sensitivity||88.5dB spl (2.83V, 1m)|
|Harmonic distortion||2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
<1% 90Hz - 22kHz
<0.5% 120Hz - 20kH
|Nominal impedance||8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)|
|Recommended amplifier power||30W - 200W into 8Ω on unclipped programme|
Shipping Related Questions
It depends on where you are and what you are ordering. All types of speakers will take minimum 4-5 business days as per the delivery location. Products that are not magnetic can be delivered faster if customer agrees to bear air-freight cost.
At AV Kart, we work with reliable logistic partners to handle the deliveries of your expensive Hi-Fi products. 99% of all our deliveries happen smoothly across PAN India. However, at the times of unfortunate events when the delivered item has incurred any sort of damage, AV Kart gaurantees immediate replacement for the same without any questions asked.
Please note that if the transit damage is limited to the packaging e.g. tampered boxes or broken thermocols then the product is not eligible for replacement until and unless there's any technical issue with it internally.
Product Related Questions
At AV Kart, we have a very limited inventory of Hi-Fi brands and that's becayse we have authorised dealerships for all the brands and products you see on our website. Every product is sourced from their respective official Indian distributors. Hence, whatever products you are going to order from us will be certainly 100% original. We always urge our customers to request proof of dealership from any online sellers before buying anything online to ensure that you get the due warranties and service support.
Return and replacement both the options are not available in standard scenarios. However, If only the product you have received is faulty and the replacement is taking more than 3-4 weeks, we will accept the return and refund 100% amount. If the waiting period for replacement is within 4 weeks then we will try to supply our customers a standby product until the original one gets replaced.
Why Choose AV Kart?
There are many online stores nowadays who are selling Hi-Fi equipment. Some of them even displays lucrative disounts but here's how AV Kart is different from them -
- Authorization - We are authorised dealers of each and every brand listed on our store. You will get proper service support and warranty on all the purchased products. You can always ask us for proof of dealerships for all of the listed brands.
- Expertise - We are among the only few online stores having years of experience with Hi-Fi equipment. You can ask us anything about your Hi-Fi home theater setup and you will get the right answer then and there. We have years of hands on experience working with top high-fidelity AV brands.
- On-Site Installation - We offer on-site installation in all the metro cities within 48 hours with the help of our channel partners which are spread across the country. From a single projector to complete home cinema setup, our team can service you at your doorstep.
- After Sales Support - The only issue with Hi-Fi equipment is that you will not find local service centers in every city. Most of the brands have their service centers only in the metro cities and hence it becomes difficult for the customers who are living far away places to claim warranty. At AV Kart, we solve this problem by arranging pikcup and drop facility from the nearest service center with the help of our logistic partners.
- Telephonic Support - In the instances when you buy any product and install it yourself but facing troubles with using it? You can book a call/video call with us to understand the operations of your new equipment.