B&W DB4S Overview
The design of the DB4S is similar to that of its more expensive counterpart, the DB3S, but it's fitted with a slightly larger cabinet and has an attractive ash wood veneer on its front baffle. The grille is magnetically attached to the baffle, rather than pegged into place like the previous DB-series models, which is a welcome design improvement.
The DB4S is also a front-firing port speaker, which means that it can be placed close to a wall or other surface and still deliver its bass in a controlled manner. This is a welcome advantage for home cinema systems, where the sound can be distorted by too much direct contact with the ceiling or walls.
B&W's app can be used to select a main speaker and then the DB4S can be paired with it, with the system automatically adjusting its response to match the speaker. You can then choose to adjust the low-pass frequency, crossover slope, and phase if you wish.
B&W DB4S Features
B&W's DB4S subwoofer is a real find. It's a surprise appearance in the company's long-running DB series, which consists of three double-driver subwoofers arranged in what B&W calls a 'dual balanced' configuration, with the top-of-the-range DB1D model being fitted with an internal amplifier rated at 2000 watts (though this is not actually the case with the DB4S).
The DB4S is one of B&W's budget-priced subwoofers and is located directly below the DB3S, which is also positioned a step lower in Bowers Wilkins's powered subwoofer selection. While it does lack some of the high-end features of the DB3S, it's a powerful performer, with B&W's usual superb piano lacquer finish available in either gloss black or gloss white, plus a choice of Rosenut wood veneer.
The driver in the DB4S is a unique 'Aerofoil' cone, which was originally developed for B&W's 800 Series Diamond loudspeakers, and whose foam core is variable in thickness across its diameter. As a result, it has excellent linearity and smooth frequency response.
It also has a very stiff, yet very light cone material that makes it extremely rigid and which is ideal for delivering bass impact with a minimum of distortion. It's a great design feature that really sets the DB4S apart from other single-driver subwoofers in this price range and is definitely a big advantage when it comes to the dynamics of movies, especially those with strong bass effects.
The DB4S is fitted with a 1000-watt digital amplification unit that can be controlled via a dedicated app, available for iOS and Android phones. This allows you to calibrate the DB4S with ease and is particularly useful if you're using it with B&W speakers because presets are pre-programmed in the app.
Calibration is very easy and the DB4S's crossover frequencies, slopes, and five-band equalization are all easily set and adjusted. The only problem is that you need to ensure that the DB4S is connected to a main speaker before you run the calibration.
B&W DB4S Specifications
|Dimensions||Height 377mm (14.8 in) including feet
Width 360mm (14.1 in)
Depth 368mm (14.5 in)
|Net weight||26kg (57.3 lb)|
|Technical features||1000W Class D Hypex amplifier
1x ø250mm (10 in) Aerofoil™ cone bass
Digital preamplifier with Dynamic EQ
App-based set-up and BT-LE control
|Description||The active closed-box subwoofer system|
|Drive units||1x ø250mm (10 in) Aerofoil™ cone bass|
|Frequency range||-6dB at 8.5Hz - 500Hz|
|Frequency response||10Hz - 350 Hz -3dB (centered on the level at 100Hz)|
|Power consumption||1/8th of rated power 195W
|Max power output||1000W|
|Inputs||2 x XLR
2 x RCA
2 x 3.5mm 12V trigger
RS-232 - 9-pin D connector
|Input impedance||RCA: 10 kOhm
XLR: 20 kOhm
|Signal / Noise||82 dB|
|Cabinet finishes||Gloss Black
Shipping Related Questions
It depends on where you are and what you are ordering. All types of speakers will take minimum 4-5 business days as per the delivery location. Products that are not magnetic can be delivered faster if customer agrees to bear air-freight cost.
At AV Kart, we work with reliable logistic partners to handle the deliveries of your expensive Hi-Fi products. 99% of all our deliveries happen smoothly across PAN India. However, at the times of unfortunate events when the delivered item has incurred any sort of damage, AV Kart gaurantees immediate replacement for the same without any questions asked.
Please note that if the transit damage is limited to the packaging e.g. tampered boxes or broken thermocols then the product is not eligible for replacement until and unless there's any technical issue with it internally.
Product Related Questions
At AV Kart, we have a very limited inventory of Hi-Fi brands and that's becayse we have authorised dealerships for all the brands and products you see on our website. Every product is sourced from their respective official Indian distributors. Hence, whatever products you are going to order from us will be certainly 100% original. We always urge our customers to request proof of dealership from any online sellers before buying anything online to ensure that you get the due warranties and service support.
Return and replacement both the options are not available in standard scenarios. However, If only the product you have received is faulty and the replacement is taking more than 3-4 weeks, we will accept the return and refund 100% amount. If the waiting period for replacement is within 4 weeks then we will try to supply our customers a standby product until the original one gets replaced.
Why Choose AV Kart?
There are many online stores nowadays who are selling Hi-Fi equipment. Some of them even displays lucrative disounts but here's how AV Kart is different from them -
- Authorization - We are authorised dealers of each and every brand listed on our store. You will get proper service support and warranty on all the purchased products. You can always ask us for proof of dealerships for all of the listed brands.
- Expertise - We are among the only few online stores having years of experience with Hi-Fi equipment. You can ask us anything about your Hi-Fi home theater setup and you will get the right answer then and there. We have years of hands on experience working with top high-fidelity AV brands.
- On-Site Installation - We offer on-site installation in all the metro cities within 48 hours with the help of our channel partners which are spread across the country. From a single projector to complete home cinema setup, our team can service you at your doorstep.
- After Sales Support - The only issue with Hi-Fi equipment is that you will not find local service centers in every city. Most of the brands have their service centers only in the metro cities and hence it becomes difficult for the customers who are living far away places to claim warranty. At AV Kart, we solve this problem by arranging pikcup and drop facility from the nearest service center with the help of our logistic partners.
- Telephonic Support - In the instances when you buy any product and install it yourself but facing troubles with using it? You can book a call/video call with us to understand the operations of your new equipment.